Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Can I Have a Technology-Infused Classroom?

Okay, so as I become more technology literate, I'm learning that I will need to pass it on to my 21st century students.  This is the challenge that not only I but every teacher in America is faced with today.  How do I effectively use technology in my classroom?

For starters, I would need working technology in my classroom, even on my campus.  Unfortunately, while school administrators are talking about keeping our students in the race for a quality education that will lead to higher ed and great jobs; they're missing a few key components. Schools should be adequately equipped and wired to house computers, laptops, printers, tablets, SmartBoards, etc.  Then there needs to be REQUIRED professional development for teachers to use the technology.

Not wanting to sound like a bitter, frustrated individual (which I am temporarily) I am at the crossroads for having a technology-infused classroom.  The reason why I may not have a technology-infused classroom is becasue of budget restrictions.  I will have a laptop and projector plus the computer I use for grading, attendance, and other classkeeping essentials. Then that's it!

So teaching in the 21st century is looking different; students are connected to technology 24/7; teachers can not keep up with the fast-pace, everchanging technology; and only high-performing schools are given the latest technology to use in the classroom.

Back to the subject at hand: my "dream" technology-infused classroom would have 6 computer stations, 10 laptops, a document camera, SmartBoard, and projector.  With these essential technology tools, I can have my students actively participate in lessons through creation of stories, podcasts, and videos. Using a SmartBoard, I can project lessons on the board and ask my students to show what the solution would be to a story. They can also work on writing sentences correctly and spelling vocabulary as well.  Plus with all of this technology, there is a plethora of web resources or "tools" that can be used with the technology.

So here's to a society where technology will be made available to all students and teachers will having the proper training to maintain and teach.


1 comment:

  1. Blog 3 prompt: Mod 6
    Reflect on the idea of what a technology-infused classroom looks like. How do you plan to have a technology-infused classroom?


    Technology-rich classrooms will be the norm in the 21st Century classroom. Over the years, schools have gone through various stages of technology growth and development. As new technologies for learning are introduced and tested in the field, schools work to acquire the hardware and materials for classroom. At that point, the use of the technologies for learning progresses from a stage of Early Use of Technology, through Developing and Advanced levels toward a Target level. The Target for the technology-infused classroom includes student-centered learning using regional and global collaborations to create student-generated projects that solve real-world problems at the local, regional, or global levels. Learning is enhanced by mentors and field experts. Technologies for learning include creativity tools for multimedia development, synchronous and asynchronous communications tools, use of the Internet for research and content delivery, and highly interactive virtual learning environments that facilitates regional and global collaboration. The curriculum is highly integrated across the academic areas with interdisciplinary activities and meaningful learning experiences.

    As we design instruction for students in the 21st Century, we need to consider the following:
    • Learning spaces should be open.
    • The curriculum should be comprehensive but student-driven.
    • Activities should be hands-on and related to real-world work.
    • An array of technology tools and access should be available at all times, from home and school.
    • Varied learning styles should be honored.
    • Emotional and intellectual support should be offered to students.

    DrE

    ReplyDelete